Sunday, December 6, 2009

Der Froschkönig oder der eiserne Heinrich

If you don't speak German, the title of this is "The Frog King or Iron Heinrich." Chances are you know this story by the name "The Frog Prince. " There are two ways I know that this story is told. The right way and the wrong way. The wrong way is anything that involves the princess kissing the frog. THAT NEVER HAPPENED, PEOPLE! The correct way is different... I won't tell the whole story, but I will take little snippets, translate them, and comment on them. I know how to translate these things myself, but I am too lazy to do so. However, I will do a translation by an expert instead of something like Babelfish.



"wenn nun der Tag recht heiß war, so ging das Königskind hinaus in den Wald und setzte sich an den Rand des kühlen Brunnens; und wenn sie Langeweile hatte, so nahm sie eine goldene Kugel, warf sie in die Höhe und fing sie wieder; und das war ihr liebstes Spielwerk."



In the heat of the day the princess would go out into the forest and sit on the edge of the cool well. To pass the time she would take a golden ball, throw it into the air, and then catch it. It was her favorite plaything.



This is unimportant to the story, but it was brought to my attention when we went over it in German. How can you throw a ball made of gold into the air? I don't think it was that large... Now, back to the story.



"Nun trug es sich einmal zu, daß die goldene Kugel der Königstochter nicht in ihr Händchen fiel, das sie in die Höhe gehalten hatte, sondern vorbei auf die Erde schlug und geradezu ins Wasser hineinrollte."



Now one day it happened that the princess's golden ball did not fall into her hands, that she held up high, but instead it fell to the ground and rolled right into the water.



I'm guessing that this is more like a spring than a well. I'm assuming the same thing for Rotkäppchen.



»Ach, du bist's, alter Wasserpatscher«, sagte sie, »ich weine über meine goldene Kugel, die mir in den Brunnen hinabgefallen ist.«



"Oh, it's you, old water-splasher," she said. "I am crying because my golden ball has fallen into the well."



"Wasserpatcher" *snickers*



Der Frosch antwortete: »Deine Kleider, deine Perlen und Edelsteine, und deine goldene Krone, die mag ich nicht; aber wenn du mich liebhaben willst, und ich soll dein Geselle und Spielkamerad sein, an deinem Tischlein neben dir sitzen, von deinem goldenen Tellerlein essen, aus deinem Becherlein trinken, in deinem Bettlein schlafen: wenn du mir das versprichst, so will ich hinuntersteigen und dir die goldene Kugel wieder heraufholen.«



The frog answered, "I do not want your clothes, your pearls and precious stones, nor your golden crown, but if you will love me and accept me as a companion and playmate, and let me sit next to you at your table and eat from your golden plate and drink from your cup and sleep in your bed, if you will promise this to me, then I'll dive down and bring your golden ball back to you."



I bet a thought went through your head when reading that, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't intended that way. However, there is another story that involves something like that...


»Ach lieber Vater, als ich gestern im Wald bei dem Brunnen saß und spielte, da fiel meine goldene Kugel ins Wasser. Und weil ich so weinte, hat sie der Frosch wieder heraufgeholt, und weil er es durchaus verlangte, so versprach ich ihm, er sollte mein Geselle werden, ich dachte aber nimmermehr, daß er aus seinem Wasser heraus könnte. Nun ist er draußen und will zu mir herein.«

"Oh, father dear, yesterday when I was sitting near the well in the forest and playing, my golden ball fell into the water. And because I was crying so much, the frog brought it back, and because he insisted, I promised him that he could be my companion, but I didn't think that he could leave his water. But now he is just outside the door and wants to come in."

Well, of course he can leave the water. He's not a fish!

Endlich sprach er: »Ich habe mich satt gegessen und bin müde, nun trag mich in dein Kämmerlein und mach dein seiden Bettlein zurecht, da wollen wir uns schlafen legen.«

Finally he said, "I have eaten all I want and am tired. Now carry me to your room and make your bed so that we can go to sleep."

The reference is back...

Da packte sie ihn mit zwei Fingern, trug ihn hinauf und setzte ihn in eine Ecke. Als sie aber im Bett lag, kam er gekrochen und sprach: »Ich bin müde, ich will schlafen so gut wie du: heb mich herauf, oder ich sag's deinem Vater.« Da ward sie erst bitterböse, holte ihn herauf und warf ihn aus allen Kräften wider die Wand. »Nun wirst du Ruhe haben, du garstiger Frosch.«

She picked him up with two fingers, carried him upstairs, and set him in a corner. As she was lying in bed, he came creeping up to her and said, "I am tired, and I want to sleep as well as you do. Pick me up or I'll tell your father."
With that she became bitterly angry and threw him against the wall with all her might. "Now you will have your peace, you disgusting frog!"

The princess has become violent!

Der treue Heinrich hatte sich so betrübt, als sein Herr war in einen Frosch verwandelt worden, daß er drei eiserne Bande hatte um sein Herz legen lassen, damit es ihm nicht vor Weh und Traurigkeit zerspränge.

Faithful Heinrich had been so saddened by his master's transformation into a frog that he had had to place three iron bands around his heart to keep it from bursting in grief and sorrow.

... No comment

Und als sie ein Stück Wegs gefahren waren, hörte der Königssohn, daß es hinter ihm krachte, als wäre etwas zerbrochen. Da drehte er sich um und rief: »Heinrich, der Wagen bricht.«

»Nein, Herr, der Wagen nicht,

es ist ein Band von meinem Herzen,

das da lag in großen Schmerzen,

als Ihr in dem Brunnen saßt,

als Ihr eine Fretsche (Frosch) wast (wart).«

After they had gone a short distance, the prince heard a crack from behind, as though something had broken.
He turned around and said, "Heinrich, the carriage is breaking apart."
No, my lord, the carriage it's not,

But one of the bands surrounding my heart,

That suffered such great pain,

When you were sitting in the well,

When you were a frog.

"Fretsche wast?" And wasn't Heinrich sitting next to him? And what happened to the princess? Anyway, he transformed after he was "warfed" against the wall he transformed. He never went in her bed! She didn't keep her promise, he shouldn't have changed back yet! How did they get married?

As you can see, there was no kiss. You may know it by this version, you may not, but now you know the real version. This story was for small kids. Small kids should have things repeated to make sure they get it.

Die Moral der Geschichte: Was du versprochen hast musst du auch halten.

More may come, if you like this, keep reading.

The version I used, the original, can be found here and the translation can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment